Elements of an Effective Literacy Program

Effective Instruction in LiteracyAs part of my Kindergarten Part 1 AQ, I created this infographic to show the elements of an effective literacy program. My doodles and lines could be cleaned up a bit, and the text layout could use some work, but overall, I am pretty happy with how this turned out.  The teacher is represented in blue, and the students in green, showing their responsibilities along a continuum.  Click to enlarge to a readable size. :)

The drawings and layout ideas are my own.  The text is inspired and at times borrowed from “Effective Instruction: Vygotskian Perspective on Cognitive Development – Ideas That Work for Me” by Jennifer Ramsay  (adapted from A Guide to Effective Instruction in Literacy, Grades 4 to 6, Volume One, Foundations of Literacy Instruction for the Junior Learner, 2006, p.79-91 and A Guide to Effective Instruction in Reading, Kindergarten to Grade 3, 2003, p. 2.11 to 2.15) and from “What Is Balanced Literacy”, a one-page resource put out by the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO).

(I am toying with the idea of changing the bottom right teacher text to “documentation” rather than “observation”…)